Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Podcasting- Thing 20

I didn't have any recommended library podcasts, so I did an online search for "library podcasts". The first one I listened to was from the Denver Public Library. Their podcasts seem to mostly be library staff reading children's books. I picked one called Fat Cat: A Danish Folktale. I have to say I was really impressed with the person who read the story. She had a wonderful reading voice and was great with the few sound effects, as well. I actually thought it might have been a professional recording (audiobook), but I checked again after listening and found that it was one of the librarians. I think this is a good idea for people who want their kids to listen to stories, but for whatever reason, they are unable to read to them. Now, it is not the same as attending a storytime. It is like listening to an audiobook- only for very young children.

The next thing I came across, was a teen webcast from the Boulder Public Library's website. (I just realized I went to two public libraries in Colorado- did not do that on purpose) The webcast was of a recent teen art show at the library. The narrator was obviously nervous and she did not enunciate well, and she did a lot of "upspeak". The camera person was wobbly. However, the teens did it themselves- and that is good to engage them and get them even more involved at the library.

Then I went to the Manchester Public Library's website and listened to a podcast about their Summer Reading program. The sound was fine, the speaker was ok- but not great, and the information was all there. I think this was a decent way to let people know about the SRP.

Finally, just for variety, I listened to one of the This American Life podcasts- the one on true urban legends. I found it very interesting and I would listen to another one. However, I would not subscribe to this or any other podcast that I have listened to. For me, it is very much like listening to an audiobook- I get bored and sometimes fall asleep. I am just not an auditory learner- never have been. For people who are, podcasting must be awesome.

I think libraries should use podcasting for some things. I think it's good to get information about programs, events, etc. out there in as many ways as possible. Also, it would be nice to have podcasts of some of our library staff reading kid books on our website. It promotes the library ( not that we need it- I know our storytimes are slways full!!). When I listened to the podcast from the Denver Public Library, I thought, "Wow, she's really good." I think if I had a child, I would take him or her to a storytime there based on the podcast. Having the podcast on the website gives people from other cities and states- who may never visit us- a sample of what we offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment