Thursday, May 6, 2010

Yelp! Thing 22

After browsing the suggestion lists to help me choose something for Thing 22, I decided to take a look at Yelp. It was rated #1 for Guides and Reviews and I have been looking for a site with local reviews of a variety of places and things. I am sometimes skeptical of online reviews because as it is said, "Anyone can write them- for any reason." However, Yelp has such a high rating that I wanted to at least give it a try. First, I searched for salons and spas by zip code. I looked at reviews of salons I had been to, and those I had not. I was mostly in agreement with the reviews of the salons I had visited, which was reassuring. Also, none of the reviewers seemed to have any ulterior motives for posting. One thing I liked, is that none of the reviews that I read were mean-spirited. One can write an honest, negative review of a place and/or experience without being cruel.

I tried some other searches- cleaners, restaurants, and then.... libraries! I was disappointed that I found no reviews of the Frisco Public Library on Yelp. I did find reviews of some of the Dallas branches, Garland, Carrollton, and Richardson (which was the only 5 star rating, based on 8 reviews). I think it would be great if some of our customers started posting reviews of FPL on a site like Yelp. I have heard that there are comments posted on the Frisco forum regularly- so why not take those comments to a larger audience? If someone is visiting the DFW area and they check Yelp for library reviews- wouldn't that be cool if FPL had more reviews than any other local library (and, yes, we would hope they would be 5 star!)? If someone was only in town for a week and only planned to visit one library- and he based his decision on a site like Yelp- well, right now he'd go to Richardson Public....

No comments:

Post a Comment