Saturday, May 15, 2010

Wikis- Thing 21

I have used Wikipedia in the past, usually when there is a subject that I am curious about and just want an overview. I have not added to or modified any Wikipedia pages, although I did know that one can do that. For this exercise, I looked up puffins. I hadn't visited a discussion page on Wikipedia until today- nor had I visited a history page. It's interesting to see the different topics and changes that have been made over time. I also noticed that the page is "B-class" and of "mid-importance." I'm not sure that these ratings really mean anything from what I read about the scales. It seems fairly arbitrary. There is, of course, a disclaimer at the bottom of the page. When you click on it, it says there is no guarantee of validity, no peer review, etc. In some ways, I do find this to be troubling- mainly because I don't know that everyone realizes that anyone can put anything on a wiki- and it may or may not be valid information. We, as librarians, know this- but I wonder how many people think Wikipedia is an authoritative resource? That aside, I think it's fun to pool knowledge together and I love the idea of an ever-changing (or evolving) document.

For the restaurant portion of the assignment, I reviewed a few of the ones I have been to and I created a page for the Irish Rover. It's sort of like a discussion forum and I do think this can be valuable to libraries. We could have wikis for our programs and materials. It would be yet another great way to be in touch with our customers and their interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment