Thursday, May 6, 2010

You Tube- Thing 18

I have been visiting You Tube for some years now for entertainment. It started when friends sent me cute animal videos and old comedy sketches. It's funny because I rarely go to You Tube and only watch one video. There are always "suggestion" videos on the side that are always tempting! Recently, I searched for a videos on how to save iPods once they had been splashed with water and how to change an iPod's battery. The instructions were excellent, but it really helped to have a moving visual aid. My iPod still died, but at least I had a resource like You Tube. I have a friend who is an architect and he makes his own outdoor furniture. He has created some "how to" videos just for You Tube- really amazing way to share knowledge AND promote his furniture.

I have also watched some library-oriented videos on You Tube. I think this also started when someone sent me links to "The Library Song" and "March of the Librarians" among others. I remember being shocked at how many videos there were pertaining to librarians. I even found an Australian sitcom that took place in a library! After watching the suggested videos, I am further convinced that You Tube is an excellent way to promote libraries and reading. I do like that the image of librarian is changing toward someone more approachable and light-hearted than the stereotypical shusher. Videos like Super Librarian illustrate that we do have senses of humor and don't mind being goofy from time to time. I also like the idea of a library channel for individual libraries. I think it would be great to see the Frisco Public Library create a few of these videos and share the links on the Facebook page. This would be ideal for promoting Summer Reading and events such as the Storytelling Festival.

Now, I want to watch some more of these library videos on You Tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment