Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Reflection- Thing 23

I think social media in libraries is wonderful. It is exciting to see how many libraries are embracing social media rather than recoiling from it. It seems to me that most people are using some social media in their personal or professional lives, and what better way than to promote the library and its mission statement than with what people- of all ages- are already using? We want to be an entity that is moving forward and is in touch with the world, not one that is stuck in the past (not to say I do not value history!).

I love that FPL is a place in which all library staff are encouraged to be familiar with social media and what it can do for us and our customers. I appreciate that we were given time at work to complete the 23 things. It has not only been really fun, but has been informative. I know I will use these tools at reference (especially when I'm helping someone on the computers)I think it would be great if FPL had promotional videos on YouTube, Twitter updates, webcasts of computer classes and podcasts of events.

I learned so much from this program- (I love Google Docs, Tiny URL, and Last.fm- three of the things I had never used before) and I also feel more confident about exploring other social media in the future. Thank you, Adam and Elizabeth, for all of your hard work on staff in-service days. I am looking forward to what is next!

No comments:

Post a Comment